About the District
The historic and pious District of Fatehgarh Sahib came into existence with effect from 13th April, 1992, Baisakhi Day deriving its name from Sahibzada Fateh Singh, the youngest son of Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
It is bound by Ludhiana and Rupnagar(Ropar) in the North, Patiala in the South, SAS Nagar (Mohali), Rupnagar (Ropar) and Patiala in the East and Ludhiana and Sangrur in the West. It is situated between 30 degree-38′ North and 76 degree-27′ East and is 50 Kms. towards the west of Chandigarh , the capital of Punjab.
The economy of the district depends mainly on agriculture, industry and allied activities.
The main towns of the District are Sirhind, Bassi Pathana, Amloh, Khamano and Mandi Gobindgarh. The Mandi Gobindgarh is also known as the ‘Steel Town of India’ having a good number of steel rolling mills. Besides, numerous industrial units are engaged in the manufacturing of sewing machine parts, centrifugal pumps, bus/truck body building and mining machinery.
There are different views about the origin and development of Sirhind. Its first reference appears in the `PRASHARTANTARA’ which is mainly a compilation of prophecies. `VARAHA MIHIRA’ has made a reference to Sirhind in his book `BRIHAT SAMHITA’ which is based on `Prashartantara’. Sirhind was known as `SATUDAR DESH’ and was inhabbited by Sairindhas Aryans. In latter period it became an important border town of Pal Kindgdom. According to another manuscript, Sirhind was the Eastern Frontier of Kingdom of Brahmin dynasty of Kabul. In the Eleventh Century, Mehmood of Ghazni invaded India and the hold of Hindu Kings ended in 1193 A.D. Then Sultan Aram Shah ruled here. Nasir-ud-din Qubacha conquered Sirhind in 1210 A.D. But Illutmish won back this territory. Sher Khan, nephew of Balban, built a fort here. After Ibrahim Lodhi’s defeat in battle of Panipat in 1526 A.D., the town came under Mughal Empire.
The tenth Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh fought against the atrocities of Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb, due to which he bore the wrath of the Dynasty. After vacating Qila Shri Anandgarh Sahib upon war with Aurangzeb, SHRI GURU GOBIND SINGH JI when crossing the swelled Sirsa River, MATA GUJRI and two younger Sahibzaadas got separated and they were accompanied by GURU SAHIB’S cook Gangu a trusted servant who betrayed the family and handed over the Mata Gujri Ji and two Younger Sahibzadas to the Wazir Khan, where they were subjected to torture to embrace Islam. When they refused to do so Mata Gujri Ji and her grandsons were confined at Wazir Khan’s Thanda Burj (Cold Tower) and later were bricked alive in a wall. When Mata Gujri ji came to know about this she also collapsed on this place. The historical wall where the younger sons of Guru Gobind Singh were bricked has been preserved in this Gurudwara. The sanctuary containing the historic wall in known as Gurudwara Bhora Sahib. Gurudwara Burj Mata Gujri, Gurudwara Shahid Ganj and many other historical Gurudwaras are also located near Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib.